Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Competitor's Creed - Part 3

I do not trust in myself.
I do not boast in my abilities or believe in my own strength.
I rely solely on the power of God.
I compete for the pleasure of my Heavenly Father, the honor of Christ and the reputation of the Holy Spirit.

This is my favorite part of the creed. It makes me want to put on the uniform and go compete for my Lord. We as athletes have been coached to "have pride," "believe in yourself," and "rely on your teammates," to "represent your school," and to "make your parents proud."

The creed poses a challenge. It probably goes against everything you know in your sport. I love it, and I hope that you also get excited about the opportunity you have to compete for the pleasure of your Heavenly Father.

Let me leave you with a movie quote that first got me fired up about competing for Christ. It is from the movie Chariots of Fire.

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."