Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Goals

Having a goal or destination makes you purposeful. If you know where you want to be and you are focused on that destination, your actions will reflect how badly you want to achieve this destination.

In sports it has been clear to me as both a player and a coach that your actions (both as individuals and as a team) are closely linked to your vision. If a player (or team) has a clear vision of who he wants to be, his actions will reflect his passion to reach that goal, mission, or vision.

This relates to our walk with God as well. You will follow whatever you cast your gaze upon. Growing up my eyes were on my sports so my actions reflected a love for competition and training first and a love for Jesus second.

I regret not having the goal of being an athlete competing for Christ. For you, Christian athlete, I encourage you to start thinking of the impact you could make for God's kingdom through your sport. Let that motivate you to achieve a new level of success in your sport.

If you don't have your eyes fixed on Christ you will not follow Him. You will forever be an athlete first, and a Christian second.